Saturday, October 12, 2013

Coming home

As my Facebook friends know, the Hub Review has spent the last two weeks in sunny Spain.  (Above, toasting the trip with the partner unit at a cafe across from the Prado - photo by my buddy Marie.) This explains the light posting of late, and the fact that two reviews, one for ArtsEmerson and the other for Handel and Haydn, have yet to appear . . . (Sorry, I guess it was all the cava and rioja!) But never fear, we will soon be back on the job, once we recover from the jet lag . . . although will I ever recover from the intensely beautiful sights of Spain?  I'm not sure about that . . . I'll have to post a few notes (in addition to my catch-up reviews) about our days and nights in Madrid, Cordoba, Granada and Barcelona.  So - thank you for continuing to check in during my absence, and there is more to come!


  1. I can save you a little time, Tom: don't bother to see Rancho Mirage. It's not a bad production---though it's hard to assess the performances when the characters are ALL so unreal---it's the play itself. Don't believe me? Just read it and I'm sure you'll see. The characters are not real, the dialogue is not real, the situations are not real, and it is SO cliched. (Spoiler---if anything can possibly be spoiled in this mess---where have you seen a play that ends with a woman sitting on the floor, blankly singing a child's song? Hmmm.)

    I had heard of Steven Dietz, but, after checking Wikipedia, I realized that I had never seen any of his 31 plays. Who allowed/encouraged him to write 31? How did Robert Walsh and the good folks at New Rep pick such a poor play. Dietz would have failed Playwriting 101.

  2. Thanks Danny, but I've already seen "Rancho Mirage." I agree that it doesn't work in its current form, but actually . . . I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has potential. Dietz's tone wobbles and he seems to have no idea how to sew together (to borrow a metaphor from the play itself) the different strands of his plot. But I see its failure as more a failure of its development process than anything else. I'll explain further in a later post . . .