Thursday, May 10, 2012

Should Obama have come out of the closet for gay marriage?

My gut tells me "no," because I feel his re-election is absolutely crucial for the future of the country. Although perhaps I should really say, "if the country is to have a future;" I'm not at all sure we can survive a resurgent Republican party with a smarmy milquetoast like Mitt Romney in the White House.  And therefore I worry over any fresh ammunition the Tea Party crazies have to hand.

But, my gut could be wrong.  Certainly this keeps Obama on the moral high ground, and of course on the right side of history.  Let's just hope we can make it safely through November . . . .

5 comments:

  1. He was already walking the policy walk, declining to defend DOMA; being coy about talking the talk wasn't helping anybody. My favorite thing about this conversation was hearing that when he looked through the eyes of his daughters, he saw a world of marriage equality. There was no way to explain why Keelin's moms weren't as married as he and Michelle are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Carolyn, but of course not defending DOMA was really all he COULD do, wasn't it - the President can't write legislation or strike down laws. So the only question in play is how this will play out politically; if it helps Romney gain the White House, and appoint the next round of Supreme Court Justices, and have veto power over gay rights legislation, then I don't see how it has contributed to the cause of marriage equality. But I have my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I feel like the crazy anti's are already energized, so maybe this gives the lukewarm pro-Obama folks a little more juice. (Put that way, it doesn't sound so likely, but I still hope it gains him more than it loses him.)

      Howbeit--my fingers are crossed, too.

      Delete
    2. Yes, this is what I often explain to friends regarding separation of powers (I am often amazed as to how few adults understand this concept): He can make executive decisions, or use the Oval Office as a bully pulpit, but he can't pass legislation or decide court cases-- so he's doing what the presidency allows him to do. I'm curious about what this means for the DNC convention in Charlotte, NC.

      Let's face it though: the hard-line anti-equality proponents were not fooled when Obama was walking the walk without talking the talk and already perceived him as a pro-LGBT rights president.

      Delete
  3. This is also true. And it does draw a clear moral line in the sand between the good guys and the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete